In lesson three, we will examine the impact of self-concept on Interpersonal Communication. You will need to be familiar with:
- Perceived self vs. presenting self
- Johari Window
You can learn more about these concepts in Interplay. Read through the information, be familiar with these concepts, then watch episode 102 of Outlander on Starz, or read chapters four through seven of Outlander (or both!). You may even want to make notes about the concepts and how they are depicted in the episode.
Then, answer one or more of these questions in the comments below:
- Compare Claire’s presenting self vs. her perceived self.
- How does self-monitoring play out in this episode?
- How is self-disclosure represented?
- Compare Claire’s and Jamie’s Johari window. Which areas would be larger for each?
- How can you use what you have learned in this lesson in your life and relationships? Be as specific as you feel comfortable sharing.
I look forward to seeing your answers and comments on this lesson.
Thank you for participating!
Our next lesson: The Way Out & Perception
[…] Our next lesson: Castle Leoch & Self-concept […]