In lesson four, we will examine the impact of perception on Interpersonal Communication. You will need to be familiar with:
- Influences on perception
- Common tendencies in perception
- Perception checking
You can learn more about these concepts in Interplay. Read through the information, be familiar with these concepts, then watch the third episode of Outlander on Starz, or read chapters eight and nine of Outlander (or both!). You may even want to make notes about the concepts and how they are depicted in the episode.
Then, answer one or more of these questions in the comments below:
- What are some of the influences on Claire’s perception? Others’ perception? Provide evidence from the episode.
- What common tendencies in perception are represented in the episode?
- There is a perception check in the episode, albeit slightly negative. What is the scene and identify the parts of the perception check.
- What role does superstition, beliefs, and values play in our perception?
- How do physiological factors influence Mr. Duncan’s perception?
I look forward to seeing your answers and comments on this lesson.
Thank you for participating!
Our next lesson: The Gathering & Emotions