In lesson nine, we will examine the dynamics of interpersonal communication. You will need to be familiar with:
- The reasons we form relationships
- Knapp’s Relational Development model
- Dialectical Perspectives model
- Four dimensions of intimacy
You can learn more about these concepts in Interplay. Read through the information, be familiar with these concepts, then watch episode 107 of Outlander on Starz, or read the second half of chapter 12 through chapter 16 of Outlander (or both!). You may even want to make notes about the concepts and how they are depicted in the episode.
Then, answer one or more of these questions in the comments below:
- What are some of the reasons we forms relationships? How do the reasons apply to Claire and Jamie’s relationship?
- Explain Claire and Jamie’s relationship based on Knapp’s Relational Development model. In which stage do we find Claire and Jamie in episode seven?
- Explain Claire and Jamie’s relationship based on the dialectical Perspectives model of relationships.
- How are the four dimensions of intimacy represented in the episode? How have you seen these dimensions in previous episodes?
- (Bonus question) An extra resource in this chapter of Interplay contains information of the Five Love Languages. Which love languages do Claire and Jamie “speak?” How does this affect their interpersonal communication and relationship?
I look forward to seeing your answers and comments on this lesson.
Thank you for participating!
Our next lesson: Both Sides Now and Communication Climate
Explain Claire and Jamie’s relationship based on Knapp’s Relational Development model. In which stage do we find Claire and Jamie in episode seven?
Our group noticed that Claire and Jamie were in a position to quickly excel their relationship in episode 7, from intensifying all the way to bonding. Their relationship intensifies when they’re told their only option for Claire’s safety is to be married. they become integrated when Jamie declares to be happy that he married her, she sends a nonverbal message that she is content with the situation. They can be seen bonding in their room after the wedding.
How are the four dimensions of intimacy represented in the episode? How have you seen these dimensions in previous episodes?
Jamie and Claire had some drinks and story sharing to build relationship and help each other become more comfortable through shared activities. Jamie expresses why he volunteered to marry and protect Claire, something I’m sure is much appreciated by Claire.The episode depicts a lot of physical intimacy, at first uncomfortable, the first time you could tell the lack passion, and you could tell it was forced. Afterwards there’s some truth sharing, a moment where they connect based on Claire’s attraction to Jamie’s emotional innocence. The next time around she takes control and he falls for her knowledge and newly found passion for him, this is where we can see love blossom. In previous episodes Frank and Claire showed all 4 of these dimensions of intimacy. So you can understand why she feels so pulled into two directions.
LikeLiked by 1 person