In lesson six, we will examine the impact of language on Interpersonal Communication. You will need to be familiar with:
- Convergence and divergence
- Impact of language choice
- Language of responsibility
- Use of “you” language
You can learn more about these concepts in Interplay. Read through the information, be familiar with these concepts, then watch the fifth episode of Outlander on Starz, or read chapters 11 and 12 of Outlander (or both!). You may even want to make notes about the concepts and how they are depicted in the episode.
Then, answer one or more of these questions in the comments below:
- How does the use of Scottish Gaelic affect Claire? How is it used to exclude her from the rent party? How is it used to protect her?
- What impact does language have in the episode, particularly with naming and identity, affiliation, power and politeness, racism and sexism, and the language of responsibility?
- How does the use of “you” language affect the situation and episode?
I look forward to seeing your answers and comments on this lesson.
Thank you for participating!
Our next lesson: The Garrison Commander & Nonverbal Communication